Friday, April 8, 2011

DIY Dresser Drawers

I bought two dressers from Craigslist, including this dresser, for $30. Also in this bundle were a mirror and shelves, which I sold and made back $20. So I really bought the 2 dressers for only $10. Can't be beat! This dresser (shown below) was in our garage for over a year. When we found out we were expecting I knew this would fit perfectly in the alcove by the window in the nursery. Read about the dresser makeover here.

The dresser came lined with contact paper, which was unexpectedly easy to peel off. Because the drawers were now sticky I decided to line the drawers with a thick wrapping paper (patterns shown here). I found another perfect tutorial by Young House Love (also used their tutorial for the crib skirt). I bought the wrapping paper from Parkside Papers (by Wooster & Prince) and love the finished product!
  • I fitted the paper to each drawer: made a template for the 6 drawers and another for the other 3 middle drawers.
  • I applied 1 coat of Mod Podge to the drawer itself (not to the paper)
  • I carefully applied the paper to the drawer hoping not to cause any bubbles. I used a ruler to smooth the paper from the middle to the edges
  • After allowing it to dry overnight, I then applied a second coat of Mod Podge to the top of the wrapping paper, as shown here:
 After the 2nd coat of Mod Podge dried (overnight), this is the final outcome:
 The 3 middle drawers:
Each drawer is filled with her adorable, tiny clothes:

 And, I placed diaper changing necessities in the top drawer for easy access:

No comments:

Post a Comment