Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Broad Street Run Results

I was so happy with my Broad Street Run results. I finished in 1:35. I was even happier with my pace throughout the race. I kept a 9:35 pace pretty much the entire 10 miles. I started out strong and just kept going. I took a cup of water at every table (every few miles) and drank a couple sips to prevent cramping and dehydration. The weather was perfect and I ran with my new playlist I created the night before. That night I made a pasta and red sauce with shrimp dish for dinner. Carbo loading! And lots of water. This was my pre-race ritual: I had to be at my Mom's at 7:00- the race started at 8:30 and we wanted to make sure we got a parking spot, used the bathroom, and had time to spare. We need it would be crowded (40,000 people were running). I woke at 5:30 so I had enough time to nurse Summer. I ate a little bit of oatmeal and made a peanut butter and honey sandwich on a whole wheat bagel to eat on the drive. I drank two cups of water and brought water with me. I stopped at Dunkin Donuts for my usual medium iced coffee/cream/sugar. I think they added something in that coffee that made me run so well!

The lines for the bathroom (porta-potty) were so long. My Mom and I used it once before the race, then got in our starting spots (based on our estimated time/mile). I had drank all that water and coffee so at 8:00 I decided to go again. The lines for the bathroom were even longer and I was so nervous I wouldn't make it back in time to start the race with my Mom. That was important to me. Since there were so many people it took a while to get to the starting line so I was still able to meet back with my Mom. We hugged and wished each other luck and actually ran the first few miles together before splitting up. We ended up finishing about a minute within each other and I saw her at the finish line among the crowds (we had planned a meeting spot just in case).

I was really proud of myself because 1) I hadn't run 10 miles since before I had the girls (when I ran a half marathon) and 2) I had missed 3 weeks of training due to being sick.

Here is a picture of my Mom and I when we got back to her house. She looks like she hadn't even run while my hair is a sweaty mess. I also got a picture with the girls.
Nick was able to track me during my race and see where I was and my time. Such a cool feature! He sent me this picture and some encouraging words, which I saw when we got back to the car.
My goal was to run the race in 10 minute miles. I'm so happy with my results and look forward to training for another one! I wore my husband's Garmin watch again and it was great to be able to see how far I had gone and what my time was at each mile. You can read more about my 10 mile training here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment